FAQ’S – MT. AUSANGATE
Led by Cristhian Cadenas
1. Can I come if I am not a mountaineer? There is no technical climbing involved. The hike up the Holy Mountain is a gentle uphill for close to five miles. You must bring good hiking shoes with heel support.
2. What about the altitude? It is high. We acclimate to altitude in the Sacred Valley, then pitch our first camp at 12,000 feet near the hot springs. The following night we are just below 14,000. If you develop symptoms of altitude sickness you will be treated and, if necessary, you will be taken down the mountain immediately in our emergency vehicle. As soon as you drop in altitude the symptoms generally resolve themselves.
3. Will there be horses if I need one? You can reserve a horse to ride for a cost of $100. Most people prefer to hike.
4. Do you carry oxygen? We carry emergency oxygen in the unlikely event it is needed by any traveler.
5. What if I get sick? All of our camp water is boiled and the field kitchen is very hygienic. In the event you become sick you will be taken down the mountain by our emergency vehicle.
6. Can I come if I am not a Four Winds student? No, this journey is open only to advanced students and graduates, and is limited to 15 people.
7. What camping gear do I need to bring? We will supply a tent, you must bring a sleeping bag rated to -15 F and quality air mattress, ideally 2” thick.
8. Will I stay warm? It is generally warm during the day, and very cold at night. Bring clothing you can layer, ideally wool camping tops and bottoms, and a quality jacket. Bring an extra water-bottle (with tight lid) that you can fill with hot water and put into your sleeping bag at night.
9. Who will be the expedition leader? Four Winds graduate Cristhian Cadenas will be the leader. Currently working towards his Advanced Energy Medicine Practitioner certificate, Cristhian—a 14-year veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces—was born into a strong lineage of Peruvian “curanderos.” In his private practice, he facilitates assorted ceremonies and one-on-one client sessions focusing on physical pain, addictions, emotional trauma, fertility issues, and soul loss. Through the process of illuminations, destiny retrievals, soul retrievals, and other tools, Cristhian empowers clients to step into their highest purpose.